Thursday, July 16, 2009

Where's the Fiction?

I subscribe to several book related podcasts specifically to learn about interesting new fiction and to keep myself abreast on the current trends in publishing. Unfortunately, lately there has been little fiction interesting or otherwise to learn about. All the book podcasts are featuring these days it seems are biographies of ancient leaders, investigations of gruesome crimes, and memoirs about being tall. This time last year it seemed like I couldn't turn on a book related podcast without hearing about Netherland or White Tiger. I know it isn't a great mystery that non-fiction sells a lot better than fiction but couldn't they at least promote one fiction book a segment. I would even argue that fiction would sell better during a recession than the publishing company thinks. People crave escape and I don't think they can find escape in learning about intimitae lifestyles of rich and tall. Hopefully as the economy improves the publishing industry will give us our fiction back.

No comments:

Post a Comment