Sunday, January 2, 2011

Starting another Blanket



I am starting a simple blue and white granny square blanket that I plan to keep for my very own. I feel like we don't have enough colorful blankets in the house. Several black ones that collect a LOT of dog hair though. So, my goal for the next couple of projects is to make some lively blankets that we can keep around the house. Yes, around here you only need them a couple of months out of the year but still they are nice to look at even if you are not cuddled up in them. This first pattern I am starting with is incredibly easy - essentially a giant granny square in a square pattern. I hope to get a little fancier with my next projects. Maybe something a little lacier. I am using a light blue, a royal blue and a white in the Berrocco Vintage Chunky. Those three colors were piled next to each other in the store and I thought the color scheme was striking. Though, as usual, now that I have started working the colors up I am less sure about the color combination. I really wanted to make a pink, orange and white blanket but I wasn't happy with any of the orange yarn available. I worry that these colors make this pattern look a little "country". Like you would see this blanket hanging over the back of a walnut rocking chair in a rustic farm house. That is so not my style. Oh well, like the other blankets I have made, I can stuff this one in the closet and only bring it out when I am cold and alone. It's the journey not the destination,right.
The journey is a little bumpy on this one though. I have noticed that I am having a real problem with the joins. You might notice in the photo that they do look a little wonky. I also think I am adding an extra stitch in there at the join. This is probably because I was having a hard time seeing where the work ended. The piece is a little wavy and I think that is because I have added a couple extra stitches in there. I do not want to pull it out though. I probably should and make it perfect but the closet won't care if it's a little wavy. I did notice on comments about this pattern that other people were getting a little wave in there. Hopefully with more attention to the joins and as it gets bigger it will grow out of the wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment